argh!

General discussion and chit-chat

argh!

Postby snowy2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 pm

well my phaeton is waiting for the garage for a full chassis up restoration, so the Quantum 2+2 is being prepped for MOT so i can use it as daily transport. they are basically re-body shelled Fiestas or XR2's even the electrics are used largely unchanged, so when i had some problems with the lights, i thought .....no problem...... and then i got to grips with it all. Why why why! Bell wire to connect the side repeaters in the cockpit area next to the indicator stalk all the way to about 1 foot short of the front indicators where they were connected .....with scotch locks... i say connected one of the two wires was connected. give me strength. hence why they didn't work.
The front light connections had been extended by about 3 feet and then bundled up besides the radiator for no discernible reason. the fitted spotlights have been wired to the battery and wires run to the switch on the dash, immediately next to the ignition switch.....with a perfectly usable battery live connection on it. Oh and they can be left on after the keys are removed...flat battery beckons. the O/S side light wire has been cut then a piece of house hold twin core (with the outer white insulation still on) has been fed through to the front O/S side light where it connects to the other end of the cut wire......even though a continuity test shows it to be fine. the list is longer but i would bore you, let me say i have had to rewire most of the front electrics to get stuff to work as it should.
Duttons are not the only cars with dodgy electrics.
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Re: argh!

Postby snowy2 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:41 am

the stereo on the Quantum 2+2 is a very nice one, and we were sold it with a 400 watt amplifier included with the car, and a rats nest of wires in the compartment where the amp was positioned. So i bit the bullet and decided to sort them out as they looked like a fire hazard, the amp is a 600 watt, (50A supply needed!) not an unpleasant surprise, but i suspect the car will vibrate to bits at full volume. the power supply to the amp was suspect because at any reasonable volume the lights on the amp would dim to the beat. so i looked at where it came from. A very heavy cable was run to the rear of the car down the drivers side, through the boot to the N/S light cluster and then back the same path to the rear parcel shelf area to the amp. Where the connection to the amp was via house hold twin core and earth flex of about 15A rating (lights cct.) a large length of the heavy duty cable was "coiled under" (read stuffed into) the parcel shelf space, there was the problem, the twin core was acting like a valve and restricting the flow to the amp. there was also two battery live connections (which i had tidied up in the front end rewire) which i had assumed were the amps supply, but were in fact "spare" these also had some 6-8 foot of spare wire on them. Along with the electric aerial connections (they come with enough wire to go from the stereo to the rear of the car) which was also connected to the amp, with all the spare wire (about 10 foot of it!) stuffed in to the same space. A night mare all in all. :evil:

Why do folks think you cannot shorten a wire?

The car has 5 speakers 4 standard ones and one sub woofer the sub woofer has the thinnest speaker wires i have ever seen and was not connected to the amp anyway, the other 4 were all connected to one channel so no stereo effect or front to rear split, :| who ever had this car previously spent a fortune on a good sound system and then spent tuppence on fitting it :( all of the speaker wires have about 4 foot of spare wire bundled upto this space as well, it took 4 or 5 hours to untangle it all and make good the connections. the stereo also needs new wires from the head unit to the amp to give the stereo effect, later though.

Baring any further problems i hope to MOT the car next week and then my Phaeton can have the garage and it will be totally stripped down and rebuilt.
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Return to Discussion