Greetings from the United States

General discussion and chit-chat

Re: Greetings from the United States

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 pm

If you could let me have the chassis plate number for our club database it would be very much appreciated. We only have records of one or two cars in the states/canada as they have been out there a while and we lost track of a lot of owners over the years.

Looks like you are making good progress with it. The back axle is probably from a 180B saloon/coupe. This would account for the extra width.

If you fancy writing some of the project history up for the club magazine, send me a couple of before and after photo's, or we can always use some of the write up you've done here if thats easier for you.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1989 LEGERRA ZS - BEING RESTORED
1990 LEGERRA ZS
1990 LEGERRA ZS sunday car
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby Burke » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Below is a pic of the only serial number I can find. 322563

Based on what I have been told, my friend's dad and his friend imported 6 of these into Canada back in the late 70's. He kept one, his friend kept one and the sold the rest to offest the cost of their's. His dad's friend eventually put a small block into his, but that's all I know.

I would be honored to do a little write up (with lots of proof reading :) ) for your magazine. Give me a couple months and it should be a little more worthy of decent pictures. Give me a year and I promise it will be worth it ;)

Thanks
Burke
Burke

Postby rob-boy-norfolk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi an welcome
At the very bottom of your picture to the right of centre you can just see the spare wheel mount (rare to find it intact,very few people mounted the spare wheel in the nose as dutton intende so cut them off )
Wire brush all the paint from the tab thats welded on the mount and you will find your original dutton number stamped in there ,they were stamped by hand and are very faint an the 1st coat of paint on the chassis covers over them
rob-boy-norfolk

Postby Burke » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:05 am

I stripped the paint using stripper and then lightly wire brushed, but I don't see anything. Am I looking in the right spot.

Oh and the number I found, those are just there with an old school label maker :)

Burke

Postby rob-boy-norfolk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Thats the spot,normally on thestrip right above the post,some are very very faint but looks like your plates clear :!:
rob-boy-norfolk

Postby snowy2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:19 am

The factory also was in the habit of writing the chassis numbers on the car with a black marker pen......so you may not ever find one, even if you do your likely to be looking for a number that follows the format of a letter (P) and 3 or 4 numbers. the cars sold just before the Phaetons, (the Malaga or Malaga B+) have the format M*** or M***B
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby Andy S » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Would be B###

If you search around this forum you will find 2 other B+ from the states - one a V8 small block powered car and one Pinto engined - If not I am sure I have the details on one or other of my computers.

The chassis number on mine was in punch dots on one of the lower chassis rails in the engine bay.

Andrew

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby Burke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:18 am

I'll keep an eye out for the serial number. The engine bay is quite dirty/dusty. I'll be sure to keep an eye out.

I haven't got much accomplished lately on the car. I started to put in a new clutch master and slave, but I am awaiting a new clevis. Finally got the correct rear pads (Datsun 710) and today received the front spacers. I think they will work well with the offset on the wheels I have. With 195's I don't think they will protrude past the fenders in the front, especially with the camber I will be running. Time to get tires and put it on the ground. Paint should be here any day, so I hope this weekend to get a couple coats on it!

Burke

Postby snowy2 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:53 am

So how's it going?
your wheel adaptors look similar to mine...except mine are steel and weigh a ton, yours look like aluminium. Much better if so.
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby Burke » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:05 am

Things are finally progressing. I installed a new brake master cylinder, clutch master (a small wilwood one), clutch slave cylinder, the prop valve and ran new brake lines (I forgot to get some pics of those).

But I did manage to get it painted this weekend. It's flat "56 Corvette Red". That'shttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GL-HOT-ROD-FLATZ-Corvette-Red-Flat-AUTO-CAR-PAINT-Rat-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae1b3b319QQitemZ390333707033QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools what it was sold as.

I wanted the brightest flat red I could find. Holy crap, is this bright. I think I will call it "Arrest Me Red". It has more orange than I anticipated. oh well. This is my first whole car paint job, and it shows. But hopefully the flat will hide the flaws. It seems to have more gloss on the last coat where I touched up the hook (I missed a spot near the bottom). I might have to redo it. Oh well. Practice makes perfect. I'm still waiting on Firestone to get the tires in, I guess 195/50/15 RE-11's are hard to find locally.

On to the pics -

For some reason the bugs wont stay off the car

Now all I have to do is -
Wire in new fuel pump
Bleed brakes/clutch
Have wife make new seat covers
Get harnesses and make new brackets
Hook up lights
Fix what ever electrical crap pops up (I imagine a couple weeks here :) )

Hopefully in a month or so I can try to get it registered.

Oh do any of you know where to find new wiper blades, I think they are from a mini and I am have no luck around here.

I still can't find the reverse lights. What I have will work, but I am still searching.... And I think I am going to bit the bullet on the all red reman taillights.
Burke

Postby Burke » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:07 am

And I picked up my adapters here - http://adaptitusa.com/

$50 a piece.

Seem to be of good quality.
Burke

Postby longboarder » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi, try www.cbsonline.co.uk for your wiper blades, they do a great range of every thing for the Kit Car, Electrical gremlins are common, good luck sorting them out. Looking good though!
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby Burke » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 am

I stuck the lights in today. I noticed one of the high beams are burned out.

I thinking of upgrading to a pair of hella's. I really had these cheap rubber housing, so I am contemplating new housing, but 5 3/4 housing are a bit hard to find over in the states.

Burke

Postby snowy2 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:07 pm

there not so common over here either......looking good though, i have used "dominator" motorbike head lights on my car.
where in the states are you? (have you already said) not that i plan to pop over any time soon :D ;)
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby Andy S » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Its interesting that the bonnet/hood does not have the ridges, have these been removed and filled because the photo I have of one of the other US B+ cars has the malaga ridge bonnet /hood
Looking good with the new colour.

andrew

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion