Keeping Duttons Original

General discussion and chit-chat

Keeping Duttons Original

Postby obr_technology » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 am

Hi,

I was pondering what to do with my Melos having bought it a couple of months ago as a non runner and just got it on the road.

On the local kit car forum I was suggesting a few changes I might make to the car and a coulple of people got 'a bit shirty' saying that you should keep all cars as they were intended whether a Dutton or a GT40 rep. There argument was half based on the DVLA and half the fact that you should just buy what you want when you start.

Anyway, if there are any members left on this forum I thought it would be worth posing the question of how far a modification is too far.......discuss!
obr_technology

Re: Keeping Duttons Original

Postby flibble » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:22 am

Ooohh, can of worms there!
Personally, I prefer the look of certain aspects of my B+ to the other 7 types (such as the boot/nose) so it's easy for me to say I think they should at least try and stay recognizable as a Dutton, even if some of the original features change a bit. If I found myself somehow owning a melos I may say differently (no offense to melos owners, I just think theyre a bit to cutesy ).
I'd like to say that all kitcars should at least stay close to what they started out as, but, in all honesty if I had a kit that I didn't like the look of I'd probably quite happily consider a re-body (DVLA don't mind re-body's), I wouldn't change it into a different style chassis though, that's back into dodgy territory/ringing/v5 swapping/etc.
flibble
Advanced Member

Postby longboarder » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:57 am

Keep the Dutton like a Dutton, you want to alter it beyond recognition? go and buy what you want. Having said that, if you are going to improve the original lines, i.e. Snowy's head lights, go ahead, its a kit after all, and you can "personalise" it in any way you like.
Death to all ringers, string um up, hang um high. There, thats my rant over with today. :twisted:
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby obr_technology » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am

Some great points there!

I don't have too much of a problem with the Chassis, I'd like to run some decent shocks as somebody has used motorbike ones on mine as well as getting the rear a bit lower but thats about it.

As for the body, I'm inclined to agree with both of you so thanks for the input.
obr_technology

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:21 am

Motorcycle shocks were quite common on Duttons, they are probably original fitment. Talk to the people at Dampertech, they did me a good deal on my rear coilovers.

I am in favour of 'personalisation' but disapprove of re-bodies IF it alters the profile of the car. Fitting a malaga bonnet to a B series is one thing, changing the body to an MK Indy for example is different.
Even replacing the chassis with a replica is acceptable providing its close enough to the original. I have been tempted to make a new chassis for the legerra using tube alloy rather than industial girders but this would effectively mean it would be subject to an IVA. Too many Duttons now look like something completely different and most of it is body profile in my opinion.
I'm not going to rant as I've made my feeling quite clear in other posts.
This year I am doing a survey of as many Duttons as possible to see just whats left out there. Its working so far as we have unearthed quite a few via ebay, google etc and through new members joining the club. There must still be more than a few tucked up in sheds though.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1989 LEGERRA ZS - BEING RESTORED
1990 LEGERRA ZS
1990 LEGERRA ZS sunday car
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby snowy2 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:00 pm

modify and alter to your hearts content, so long as it is still recognisable as a Dutton and essentially still uses the basic chassis (if somewhat strengthened) but if you take a B+ or B type and then turn it into a Caterham clone, then buy a caterham....
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby marcjagman » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 pm

My melos will look like a melos but that's about it. Scimitar axle, 4 link, watts linkage, tuned rover v8, 5 speed lt77, 2 inch flare on rear arches to cope with extra width from the axle. Built loads of 7's in the past and got bored with them and the melos was affordable to buy in the first place. liked so much I'm buying another next month with no V5 so that will be fitted to a vitara chassis, same wheel base.
marcjagman

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:51 pm

I was thinking of a SJ410/413 with lengthened props under a Sierra or Beneto for the winter, maybe a suzuki swift twincam like Jonno for a powerplant.
Might even try something 'odd' in the phaeton later this year.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1990 LEGERRA ZS
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby marcjagman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Adrian(doc3400) wrote:I was thinking of a SJ410/413 with lengthened props under a Sierra or Beneto for the winter, maybe a suzuki swift twincam like Jonno for a powerplant.
Might even try something 'odd' in the phaeton later this year.

A Melos has an 88" wheel base, the same as a Vitara, Frontera sport is close too.
marcjagman

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 pm

I need the bigger body of a Beneto or Sierra to carry crap around in, I shouldn't really get another sports body... :cry:
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1990 LEGERRA ZS
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby scooobyslayer » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:15 pm

snowy2 wrote:modify and alter to your hearts content, so long as it is still recognisable as a Dutton and essentially still uses the basic chassis (if somewhat strengthened) but if you take a B+ or B type and then turn it into a Caterham clone, then buy a caterham....

i definitely agree with the strengthening, they have some serious weak points imo theres next to nothing in the transmission tunnel area ! lol
scooobyslayer

Return to Discussion