3.5 V8 to 4.6 V8 conversion

General discussion and chit-chat

3.5 V8 to 4.6 V8 conversion

Postby LB_malaga » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 pm

So after a little a while away from the project...again.... i've decided i need to finish it and drive it more than 4 times. First step sort the engine out. As the 3.5 was i had in it stretched the timing chain and needs as rebuild die to its state and water consumption i've decided to swap it out for a 4.6. I'm following this website which seems a pretty comprehesive guide of the conversion and good for V8 info generally http://mez.co.uk/TuningTheRoverV8-pt6.html and i'm also going to purchase this for a few tweaks http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/product.php?id=315 .i've got a 600cc holley for it and and also need an Edelbrock manifold.

old 3.5

4.6 from fleebay

looks pretty healthy

except for the timing chain
LB_malaga
Advanced Member

Re: 3.5 V8 to 4.6 V8 conversion

Postby florida jim » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 am

Nice, I am curious, I assume that you are going to use a 4 speed manual transmission. How does this match up with the shifter position in the Dutton. I have thought about adding an 289 C.I. Ford hypo engine to mine and I am pretty sure I could shoehorn the engine in but I think that the length of the transmission would place the shifter much further back in the car.
florida jim

Re: 3.5 V8 to 4.6 V8 conversion

Postby LB_malaga » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 am

Hi mate,
I'm using the same 5 speed LT77 box out of the SD1 which I used with the 3.5. I don't hold out much hope for this gearbox though, they weren't renown for their strength and even Rover strengthened 1st in the 190bhp SD1 Vittesse, mines going to have 250bhp but a lot less weight so lighting up the rears may actually save the box. I think i'll have to upgrade this at some point to the later R380 land rover box which is a lot stronger.

You can just see the shifter in this pic, to the right of the dash. When you're driving the car its just right and you haven't got to lean forward either.

The prop is quite short as well, this was custom made with a slider in it for the suspension movement.
LB_malaga
Advanced Member

Return to Discussion