Temp

Technical help not Dutton or model specific

Temp

Postby G-newbie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi All
As i'm new to all the kit car seen and have no experience in mechanics, I may need help from time to time.
First thing I need to know is my temp gauge goes right up is this normal, I have changed the thermostat but have noticed furring around the water pump, when watching the rad as the car gets up to the high temp not seen the water regulating around, spoke to few people and they have said new water pump, may need new one, the engine is a old 1.6 ohc engine out of a cortina.

So asking should I change the water pump.

G-newbie
G-newbie

Re: Temp

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:28 am

First thing, get the thermostat housing off. Its a lot cheaper to replace a thermostat than it is to replace a pump.
Chances are the 'stat has jammed closed which is why you are not getting circulation in the rad. Remove the stat completely and refit the housing without it using some sort of instant gasket rather than a paper one. (blue hylomar is probably the best bet) If the water then circulates ok then get a new 'stat. 88 degrees is normal however Duttons do have issues with cooling so maybe get an 82 degree 'stat from someone like Burton Engineering. These are available through ebay at a reasonable price.
If you still dont have circulation then it's time to do the pump. Remove the old one for inspection. If the vanes on the inside rotate when the front pulley mount is turned then you shouldnt need to replace it. If the vanes have corroded away then of course it will need to be replaced.
Once you have circulating coolant then its time to flush the system out.

PS... welcome to the mad world of duttons.
email me if you need any assistance with the above tasks.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1989 LEGERRA ZS - BEING RESTORED
1990 LEGERRA ZS
1990 LEGERRA ZS sunday car
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby longboarder » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:41 pm

As Adrian has said, but, is the car overheating?? or is it just the gauge going to hot? sometimes they have a voltage regulater on the gauge which also feeds the fuel gauge, its about the size of a matchbox and does tend to get neglected. Cheap as chips and a doddle to replace. Still I'd give it a good flush out, top tip is to get some central heating cleanser from B&Q etc. chuck it all in, get it really hot and circulating, nice hot rad is the give away thats its doing the job, then dump it down the drain while warm. I have left it in for a week or so, it does no harm, then refill with a good inhibitor or anti freeze, once clean it should stay clean. As Adrian said, keep us informed of any problems, some good guys on here.
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby G-newbie » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys
G-newbie

Postby G-newbie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:53 pm

G-newbie here, just a quick ask, 1.6 ohc engine told its a cortina but don't know which model, does any body know what the water pump is either non-viscous or vicours fan some I've looked at have what looks like a fan others look like disc, I know I should dismantle and look at the one on mine but I've stored my dutton for the winter and hoping to save up to get all the parts to fix the temp problem.

thanks G-newbie
G-newbie

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:03 pm

I would suggest non-viscous pump and use an electric fan, the viscous coupling is big and may cause the fan to foul on something (and drains BHP like a tap)
Front end of the block should look a little like this but this photo has the crankshaft main pulley removed.
Little tip. The M10 bolt on the water pump also holds the alternator bracket which moves when you tighten the fan belt. If you use the m8 hole on the block, to the left and below the M10 in the photo, it will save having to fiddle with the waterpump bolts when you tighten the fan belt.

ImageUntitled by Adrian Southgate, on Flickr
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1989 LEGERRA ZS - BEING RESTORED
1990 LEGERRA ZS
1990 LEGERRA ZS sunday car
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Return to General Technical