B type saved.

B type saved.

Postby longboarder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:02 pm

I have to back track a bit. way back in April, Dave Adams heard of a B type going begging. The owner was ill and could not get the car sorted. His wife was about to scrap it when they notified the DOC of the car, last chance salon ! I had just retired from full time work and needed a project, Dave put 2 and 2 together and talked me into it. The the owner got taken very ill and the trail went cold, I had given up on it when suddenly I was given 2 weeks notice or it was scrapped. Luckily someone who hires out Luton bodied vans had one with body damage hanging about a waiting repairs. So in June I went to Caterham via Basingstoke to collect the car. From Plymouth it was pretty tiring dragging along at 55 in the rental truck, but I did it and with the help of a friend in Basingstoke we rescued the car. The truck had a tail lift and due to being semi stripped was a easy lift and push. The owners had methodically turned the wheels and kept the brakes free and tyres inflated. A shake of hands and a cup of tea and the deal was done and the trip home was very uneventful. Even off loading it into my garage on my own was uneventful. So now I had a 1 owner B type that had been hidden since 1982. It had been running Morris 948cc engine and box, back axle and a weird front end set up cannibalised from a Moggy minor.
m_btype1.jpg
as found.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
longboarder
Advanced Member

Re: B type saved.

Postby longboarder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Being unloaded with the tail lift and my engine crane, looks like its levitating :D
m_100_1774.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby longboarder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 pm

m_100_1776.jpg
I then placed it safely in the garage while I pondered its future. And mine. What have I done? and why? Eventually I decided to bite the bullet and start cleaning and descaling years of storage muck, pigeon droppings and rather large spiders from it all.
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby longboarder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm

In for a penny, lets strip it and rip it apart and start afresh.
m_100_1789.jpg]m_100_1789.jpg
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby longboarder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 pm

and eventually I ended up with this, all ready for the knotted wire brush, paint stripper and weld (braze) check
m_100_1790.jpg
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby longboarder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:49 pm

On to July and after hours of knotted wire brushing and several stabbings with said wires flying loose I ended up with a clean chassis that only needed a few repairs due to rust but over 200 rivet holes to fill over :o
m_100_1791.jpg
longboarder
Advanced Member

Return to B type & Malaga