1990 LEGERRA ZS sunday car
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Re: Phaeton rebuild

Postby Paul S » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:05 pm

OK so........... Today July 8th 2016, the Dutton S2 Phaeton Q443BCH goes for and passes its MOT. This has been a fantastic journey, and I am proud to say that I have kept to my original goal of keeping the car looking as close to how it was intended as possible. Why did it take so long? With any restoration project, you need to strip the car down to every last nut and bolt and start again. Some things you can refurbish, what you deem worthy of refurbishment is dependent on just how fussy you are going to be, and there in lies the reason for this project taking so long. I am unfortunately a mechanical engineer, and as such have very high standards, so everything has to be to the best of my ability.

Once I had stripped the car down, I had two piles of junk, stuff for refurbishment and stuff that needed replacing. The stuff in the refurb pile was completed relatively quickly and ready for rebuilding the car, now this is where projects start to take longer than you think, because unless you have a bottomless pit of available cash, you have to save up for something then fit it, save up, then fit ..... so on and so on. The vast amount of these project fail, because interest is lost due to lack of progress, and maybe pressure from third parties to get rid. My advice to any prospective builder is to understand that if you want to end up with a quality job, you have to accept that it will take a lot longer than you think.

My other bit of advice, is because Blokes need toys to play with! you should have a toy to play with while you are working on a project. If you don't, its a sure bet you will be very tempted to give up before the end.

Luckily I didn't and this is the result.........

I will do a final chapter on the driveability and peformance of the car in due course. :D :D
Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby longboarder » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:48 am

well done Paul, that has raised the bar. I was never any good at high jump, think I better get some practice in :D as my greatgrandson now says all the time "awesome Gramps" once again well done, plus thanks for bothering to show us your rebuild on this site.
longboarder
Advanced Member

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:10 pm

I'd like to echo Steve in my hearty congratulations on a job well done.
I too know the value of having a daily driver while playing with a project (or 6) :(
So looking forward to a meet up later in the year, get the hertfordshire posse together and play on some of them nice little roads down there... I know they exist as I found them going to John Allens' with some bits.
Shiny (so shiny) side up mate and once again well done.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1989 LEGERRA ZS - BEING RESTORED
1990 LEGERRA ZS
1990 LEGERRA ZS sunday car
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby snowy2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:03 am

ditto.....
yup i have after 3 years been able to get logged back on to this forum.......
well done paul.
i wish i had the patience you have, and that i spent or had had more time to sort my body work out to get a finish like yours.
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby Paul S » Mon May 15, 2017 10:45 am

The first show last year.

Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby Paul S » Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 am