Phaeton rebuild

Re: Phaeton rebuild

Postby Paul S » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Due to the fact that the bonnet edges seem to have sprung out and now look odd, unsurprising I suppose, when you think that it is a 30 year old moulding. I am going to grind a fine groove on the top radius, and bend the edge back to 90° this is going to split and weaken the GRP. So I have made some trims from stainless steel that will be bonded to the bonnet to give it back its strength, and should look the part too :D Never really played with sheet metal work, and it is proving harder than I thought ........ this is the result before final shaping and polishing.

Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:24 am

Classic 'hockey stick' trim with that little kick on the end Paul, looking good.
Bet I'm not the only one whose dying to see the end result?
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1989 LEGERRA ZS - BEING RESTORED
1990 LEGERRA ZS
1990 LEGERRA ZS sunday car
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby Andy S » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Still doing great work there.

Andy

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby Paul S » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm still not happy with the way the bonnet moulding is sitting on the scuttle, it just doesn't look right. So I decided to make an adjustable tie bar from thin walled tubing, that will pull the edges back to where they are supposed to be, luckily because I made a shelf on top of the fire wall that has nothing on it, I can mount the tie bar quite low and it wont foul anything ..... result ........ of course it was all planned :lol:
When closed, the bonnet now follows the contours of my scuttle and the tie bar has made the whole assembly a lot more ridged, much happier now :D

Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:58 pm

both ends threaded?
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1990 LEGERRA ZS
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby Paul S » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:02 am

Yes, both ends were made adjustable in case I had to anchor it in the middle in order to pull one end in more than the other, but as luck would have it, the centre anchor was not needed.
Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:58 pm

Nice, it'll help with general bonnet rigidity a lot as thats a long bonnet on the S2.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1990 LEGERRA ZS
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby pmc_3 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:52 pm

If you think yours was bad you should see how bad the fit is on the edges of my s4!

pmc_3

Postby Paul S » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:32 pm

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try and try again, that’s what you have to do when building kit cars.
Didn't matter how I dressed up the bonnet issue with trims and moldings, it was never going to be good enough!!

So the only thing to do, was to do a proper job …….

I want to be able to close the bonnet with it sitting snugly around the scuttle and not looking like a mismatch of bits and pieces, so it was out with a large pair of slip joint pliers and brutishly bend, split and
work the edge of the bonnet until it did just that.

Now I had it to shape, there was a gap of 14mm to rectify. To do this I used some 50mm woven fibre glass tape, which has nice flat edges. I ground down the underside of the bonnets edge, to make a step
where the woven tape could be attached, making the step a few millimeters larger than the woven tape.
I had some Nitro tape (no idea what it was for) but it is very thin, so used it to mask off all around the scuttle where the bonnet was to be re glassed, and then smeared this with petroleum jelly as a release
agent. To get the woven tape into position, I placed it all around the scuttle and it was held in place by the petroleum jelly… Result, painting a goodly amount of resin on the underside of the bonnet,
I lowered it down into position being careful not to ruck up the tape, then lifted the bonnet back up again with the woven tape now stuck to the resin and in its correct position. The tape was then wetted
through to properly adhere it to the under edge, once done it was lowered back into position for a final check and adjustment and then left to cure.

Now having the right shape, the top edge was ground to a step and the top layer of woven tape was applied and once again left to cure. Then it was a matter of building back up to level with chopped
strand matting and finally a product called Fibral Repair Paste was used as a filler before sanding. I didn't want to use body filler on the edge as it would more than likely chip off again if the bonnet was
closed too hard.

Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:27 pm

What a simple yet brilliant idea, a good tip that one Paul.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1990 LEGERRA ZS
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby Paul S » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:15 pm

Now I have filled all the little floors in the bodywork ....... yeah right!! Every time I have another look, I see something else, you can only do so much with 30+ year old fiberglass mouldings. I have now started the painting process which will consist of seven coats, coat 1 is a flexible primer, coat 2 is a black 2K filler, coat 3 is 2K primer, coat 4 is 2K metallic base colour and then 5, 6 and 7 will be 2K clear coats, blocking down between coats. Should get a nice deep shine out of that lot. Pictures so far, will be putting base and clear coat on next week.
I hasten to add, this is my first crack at painting a car and so far am quite chuffed at the result :)

Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:43 am

Looking good Paul, roll on next weekend then.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1990 LEGERRA ZS
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby Paul S » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:24 pm

Well, not bad for an amateur!! Now I know what you are thinking ....... Metallic British Racing Green :o Hmmmmmmmm, that's what I ordered and that's what it says on the tin, and when I took the boot lid out into the nice sunsine we had today, it is indeed green, but very dark. Not exactly the same colour as the sample the company sent me, but I'm not altogether too unhappy with it. And it will definitely set off the stainless side panels and chrome roll bar etc.
I did have a slight accident with the boot lid ....... bashed my fat arse against it :roll: need to block it down again and re do the clear coat :D

Paul S
Advanced Member

Postby Adrian(doc3400) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:12 pm

:P smart arse. You sure you didn't get a pro in to do that?
Seriously nice job mate.
Sue has offered to pay for someone to paint the leggy.. I'm torn between wanting to do the whole job myself and knowing that I'm never going to get the garage clean enough.
DUTTON SIERRA S2
1988 LEGERRA S1
1990 LEGERRA ZS
PHAETON 2
PHAETON 3
PHAETON 4
Adrian(doc3400)
Advanced Member

Postby Paul S » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:33 am

Moving on, if you remember from previous posts, I have designed the dash scuttle to be one complete unit, easily removable in order to give access to everything under the dash, IE; pedal box, steering column. heater assy, electrics, rear of the instruments etc. So in the future should any repairs be required, I won't have to play at being a contortionist and crawl into the foot wells ....... way to old for that malarkey :lol:
So the first job now that we have some paint, was to trim the dash with vinyl and fit the heater vent covers. I used a contact adhesive from Car Builder Solutions, instead of the spray adhesive I have used on other bits of trim. The reason being, it is more heat resistant. I have also had a new screen made.

Couldnt resist slipping it on to see what it looked like 8)

Paul S
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Phaeton S1, S2, S3, S4