gearbox woes

gearbox woes

Postby tomphaeton » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:42 pm

Have had my dutton back on the road for a coupleof months now (although most of that time was spent trying to make it run a bit cooler, and then finding and fitting a new brake master cylinder) i went for another test drive at the weekend and all was well, until i returned to my garage and tryed to put it in reverse, it just wouldnt go in, it didnt grind or make any noises, it just wouldnt go into reverse.

I have a phaeton s4 with a rover v8 in, i think it has the r380 type c gearbox and i presume that it is a problem with the selector but i cant get access to the top of the gearbox very well, i have cut a bit of the transmission tunnel away (how structural is this?) but still cant get in that well.

Any ideas on possible problems with the gearbox would helpfull, as would ideas on how to get better access to the gearbox, is it engine out then gearbox out, is it body off, can i get just the gearbox out, or can i cut a bit more out of the transmission tunnel?

Thank you Tom
S4 phaeton modified front end to accomodate 3.5 v8
tomphaeton

Re: gearbox woes

Postby edmonds1471 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 pm

dont know anything about the gearbox, but i wouldnt worry about trans tunnel, they are that strong any way, u can make it strong when u repair it, mine has not tunnel top at all at the mo.
edmonds1471
Advanced Member

Postby snowy2 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:35 am

body tub is non structural and you could more or less cut it about as you like, gear box.....removal will probably be required for any surgery, but that may not be necessary, have you checked that the gear lever is making it's full movement and not fouling the body tub anywhere? does your clutch want adjusting? daft things but often the answer to the problem.
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby Andy S » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 am

It will pay to know exactly what gearbox you have as the R380 and the LT77 have reverse indifferent places.

Is the lock out working?

Andrew

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby tomphaeton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:22 pm

Hello, after further investigation i can confirm that i have the earier type LT77 gearbox(dont know why i thought reverse was right and down but i was convinced that it was, im sure this car is making me go nuts) i can get into reverse with the gearlever removed so i know that the problem is in the linkage, also i can engage reverse if i raise the gearlever whist moving it to the left but it takes a lot of effort to lift, and i know that this wasnt like this previously as the gearknob is not very well attached and would have come off with the force required.

Ah well at least the box isnt knackered as i was begining to think.

As two hands on the gearstick to engage reverse isnt very practical does anybody have any ideas as to why this problem would have appeared?

Thank you Tom
tomphaeton

Postby snowy2 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:28 pm

clutch.........no seriously, if it isn't disengaging fully you would get dodgy reverse, try putting it into 1st gear then reverse quickly afterwards.
of course you may have a linkage prob. Andy may know.
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby Andy S » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 pm

What remote is fitted to the box - there are long and short types and is it completely rigid in comparison to the box as it should be?

Andrew

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby tomphaeton » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 pm

The remote is solidly attached to the box and appears to be about 10 inches long as i remember, it looks like the type c one from an r380 box, which is why i thought that it was an r380 box.
tomphaeton

Postby Andy S » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Then it really sounds like a case that the remote needs to be removed to check the sleeves and nylon knuckles that make up the slector rod mechanism as well as the reverse lock out mechanism on the sdie of the remote and its tension springs.

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby roverstag » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Tom

Not sure if this will help if you've got a R380 remote but there's a useful SD1 website that explains nicely all the workings of the LT77 gearbox including setting up the reverse gear.

http://www.roversd1.nl/sd1web/index.html

Hope it's of some help......

Cheers

Graham
roverstag

Postby tomphaeton » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:34 pm

That site looks very handy, and the remote detailed in the step by step overhaul guide looks to be the same as the type on my box, my guess is the r380 type c remote is based on that one, i was only saying that the one i had looked like the r380 one as i could only find a picture of the r380 and i was trying to describe it.

I shall try and get at the reverse baulk plate and adjust it, without taking the whole lot out, as this seems to be a good possibility.

I have had to make a start on some structural alterations to my house this weekend so that it will be ready when my new kitchen arrives, so i may struggle to get any time at the dutton for the next month or two without the missus killing me! Maybe i'll sneak off when her back is turned!!!

Thank you for your help, i will let you know when i have had time to fiddle with it a bit more. Tom
tomphaeton

Return to Phaeton S1, S2, S3, S4