lofftys s1 rebuild

lofftys s1 rebuild

Postby loffty » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:45 pm

hi every one after a long time of trying to work mr gs site out i think ive finnaly got it, i dont know if this is going to be in the right area but im sure somebody will soon let me know :roll:
any way im sure you would like to see the progress of the s1 so the camera as been going and have some pics for you to look at ..just to let you know i purchased this s1 3 years ago looked at it thought no probs a couple of weekends it will be on the road ;; nope its still sat in the same place. i have had to have it completely rewired so thats all up to scratch now . then when i finnaly got round to starting it you couldnt see your hand in front of you so out came the engine stripped it apart to find it had 2 scores down the bores so of it went for a rebore only to find out it was at its maximum.. so a search was on to find a good 1600 xflow block 2 days later found one that ad not been touched. i decided to keep the +90s that came out of the other block as they were like new just needed new rings so burton power supplied new rings and complete engine gaskets and seals. so the rebore began. i also decide to have the valves done in the head so that whent to hereford rebore aswell they converted the head for leaded fuel,skimmed the head reseated the valves. all parts sat back on gararge bench time to rebuild the engine, engine rebuilt and back in car ready to fire it up yes first time sounds good and no smoke ,right time to get it ready for mot little bit of carpet to finish of inside sort out the hand brake and its ready ;; gues wot it still havent been motd.. so i looked at it and thought well if this is going to be a hobbie then i best do it properly. so after looking at that unsightly inner tub i thought its time for it to go and do it properly.stripp it back to bare chassi and get it shot blasted and resprayed. so every thing ive done to it so far is all coming back out or of.. first thing is to get that shoddy fiberglass tub out of the inside 1 hr later lots of swearing :x and coverd from head to toe in dust off the angle grinder its gone.. oh and a broken rack i think i hit it a little to hard :cry: { more money} so im on the look out for another stearing rack.[imgImage][/img][img][IMG]http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/loffty_photos/DSC00445.jpg[/img][/img]ImageImage next job is to start making the new tunnel and frame work for the alluminium lots to do and still have to do things with the wife
loffty

Re: lofftys s1 rebuild

Postby Andy S » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Looks like you got any site access issues sorted out and a good first post keep it up.

Andrew

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby loffty » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:58 pm

hi andy thanks for the coment this is totaly all new to me .. anyway after hrs of cleaning the gararge to day i think i finally got room to swing a cat :lol:[iImagemg][/img] so on to taking the rear tub of which to my suprise came of a lot easier than trying to get the inner ones out ..a couple of bolts holding fuel tank in and that was that job done next to remove the bolts in the the boot to be able to lift the tub of the frame gues wot there was no bolts holding it in place :shock: must of been just the pop rivets where it atatches to the inner tub holding it in place ..oh ye and the fuel tank.. this is another little job to be added to the list of things to do,, reckon i could have a realy big list in a couple of days time.any way tub off time to start trying to get my head around how im going to build the frame to be able to panel it out,, then to my suprise i notice the roll bar was all bent at the bottomImage think this may well have been from previous owners as this was all cut of when i purchased it, so have taken measurements and am going to get a new roll bar made and atatch new shocker brackets to it before i can start thinking about the inside frame work and tunnel. also noticed that the off side rear wheel is about 20mm of the chassis rail where as the near side wheel is only about 10mm of the chassis rail, so need to look into that as im new to these duttons i dont know if thats right or not,,it doesnt look right to me almost as if the diff/ axels are over to the right by 5mm to muchImage you can clearly see in the pics theres a discrepancy any info on this would be great thats all for now i will keep you updated with the new roll bar and the start of frame work inside,,,, :)
loffty

Postby Andy S » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 pm

You are indeed correct that the rear axle alignment is wrong - mainly caused by the shoddy Panhard system that Dutton employed on the cars - look to change it for a longer lower one. You also need to get a brace in between the rear suspension pickups the roll bar is the only thing that actually makes an attept to stop the chassis twisting - it does this poorly but would have done a better job than one bolted on.

The chassis on your car will be twisting all over the place.

Andrew

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby loffty » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:32 pm

hi guys yes your right andy the axle is well out of alighnment i have just taken panhard rod off pushed axle over to the left so as there is the same clearance on both sides ,lowerd the panhard rod back to its bracket and it at least 10mm out so like you said time for a new one . while im at it i will change the link bars aswell for piece of mind..for some reason theres only 3 on mine so may well adapt it and put 4 on . i have been to hereford pipe corporation today and they are going to make a complete new roll bar ..this is beeing made out of 40x3 seamless tube so will be alot stronger than the original£40 this will be ready tomorrow so with a bit of luck out with the grinder and welder tomorrow night. where did you get yor link bar ends from andy :?:
loffty

Postby clacysmagic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:46 pm

No wonder i get headaches yours must be permanant mate ,keep up the good work.
ps i get prescription painkillers
clacysmagic

Postby Andy S » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:43 pm

The back end on the B+ is fully rose jointed - all parts available from McGill Motorsport at reasonable price or from the likes of Rally Design.

5 linking the rear end is the best way to go - the Dutton 4 link is just lame.

Andy

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby loffty » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:34 pm

another day another doller or £40 :D ,,
the old bits of roll bar have been cut off and the new one as been welded in place looks good.. pics to follow didnt have time to take them i was off snookering to night. so much better you can allready see the differance and the strenth it as made to the chassis..
thanks andy will look to changing it to 5 bar link as this seems to be the norm with the modification.
its causing lots of head aches as you know but im sure it will be worth it in the end..next on the agenda is to start makeing the frame work for the panelling, have looked at lowering the panhard rod so this will be done once all the frame work in side as finnished and get the rear tub back on to see how much room i have got to reposition the panhard rod ( lower and longer} steel on order 25x25x1.6 and 1.5 alloy same spec as andys b+ this should be with me in a couple of days so once this arives then its on with the cutting / welding and plenty of head scratching :roll: and the mrs looking at me in the window to tell me the teas been on the table for half an hr looking like :twisted: and its gone cold but hey thats what wifes are for.thats it for now but lots and lots more to follow......carl
loffty

Postby loffty » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 am

hi andy could you give me a little info on the rose joint link bars system what size bar is it 22 o/d and what size rose joints any info would be good cheers carl
loffty

Postby Andy S » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:39 pm

It depends on what you are looking to do with the car -
The B+ uses 1" (25mm) rods and 1/2" joints as its taking 250ftlbsof torque and will be at 250+ BHP
My Westfield used 7/8" (22mm) rods and 3/8" joints
Personally on the link bars if it's a road car I would stick with metallastic type bushes and get the dimensions correct,and on the Panhard I would have a bush at the chassis and a rose 7/16" on the axle
If you really want to go rose'd then 7/8" x 14swg rods and 7/16" joints and use PTFE lined.

I built link and panhard for my S4 using Spifire shock absorber lower front bushes 7/16 bolt size - I think it was 1" x 14SWG wall tube to hold the bushes I used but will check if you like - Link and Panhard tube was 25 x 1.5mm

Sure I have some still kicking about I can take shots off if not in my S4 rebuild posts or on the website

Andrew

No more Duttons
North Shropshire
Andy S
Advanced Member

Postby loffty » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:01 am

hi every one a little post,,,, steal arrived so welding as started :D
cheers andy thanks for the info on link bars once done i do plan to use it on road and track so may well go rose joints all round
not a lot is going to happen over the weekend as we are of caravaning today in this wheather i know :(
so work as stoped untill tuesday but will crack on with it tuesday night and take some more pics of the frame work and new roll bar
thats all for now ..... carl
loffty

Postby snowy2 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:10 pm

there was actually a good reason why Dutton chose to use 3 links* instead of 4, but it was perhaps misguided as the 4 link arrangement works better, so does having a longer panard rod. my car will be modded soon and will likely be braced as andy suggests, best of luck with it btw.
* 3 link allegedly improves grip from power starts (tried by jaguar racing in 1950's)
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Postby loffty » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:04 pm

hi everyone just a little post to let you all know whats been happening
well as you know theres alot more work involved than i first thought :shock:
been doing lots of measuring ,cutting and welding the roll bar as mentioned before is now in place and looks realy good alot better than the one that was on there.... new shocker brackets have been welded in to place using 3mm plate.
the work as started inside ,,,,framework ready for alloy panelling
need to get a couple more brace bars across the back then its on to removing link bars and fabricating some new ones :roll:
welding as only been tacked in some places just to get it all together once happy then will weld it all up on top and do the underside once engine is out so as i can turn frame upside down.
im leaving front end frame work for now untill all the back end is completely finnished
ive decided to change engine aswell,,,now ive gone this far the xflow is good but they are getting on a bit now and would like something a bit more up to date but dont quite know what to go for was thinking down the lines of a 2ltr zetec what do you lot recon is this the easiest mod to do :?:
once ive decided then i will have to go and get it so as i have the measurements to get the framing done and do any alterations in engine bay for new one to sit in.
so the xflow will be up for sale to cover the cost of the new one.
any way thats it for now,i will keep you updated any thing on engine wise let us know as this is going to have to be in the next couple of weeks or so
regards carl
loffty

Postby clacysmagic » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:15 pm

That looks very impressive Carl but now your changing the lump why not go for a biggy with some real grunt :D
clacysmagic

Postby loffty » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:01 pm

hi would love to change to a v8 but not enough funds to do that so need to upgrade with some thing simple so zetec is looking that way
loffty

Next

Return to Phaeton S1, S2, S3, S4