Radiator grille

Radiator grille

Postby snowy2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:54 am

The Dutton Phaeton seems plagued by horrible radiator grilles, perforated aluminium mesh seems favourite. Mine was from an old Vauxhall radiator grille and cut about. Whilst it looked quite good the "V" shape to the grille was greater than the front of the car and it looked a little odd. So I decided to make my own, here is how I did it.
I bought 2 lengths of flat aluminium bar 20mm X 2mm X 2m and one length of 6mm square tube 1m long. Using my electric mitre saw I cut the tube into 4 lengths about 8 inches long (the Duttons were made in imperial sizes so I am using imperial measurements) and then laid them side by side, holding them together with masking tape and then "slotted" them with cuts through to one side at about 1" intervals. Then the bar was cut into lengths about 24" (two foot) long. The square tube was laid out on a steel frame. (some buckshee lengths of steel angle iron upside down to keep the aluminium off the floor, so that when I used the blow torch, I could heat from underneath) and the bar slotted in at intervals of 1 1/2 from either end and the same from the center, then the whole was "welded" using the zinc based aluminium solder that I bought at Stoneleigh a few years ago

here are photos of the whole process;

To make the "V" shape to the grille I cut a slot about half way through the back of the finished grille and bent it ,

here is the result,

and here is the finished result on the car;

but I think I prefer it painted black;

The whole thing took a morning and was quite cheap to do.....Have a go, its better than chicken wire (I have seen it)
Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Re: Radiator grille

Postby snowy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:15 am

I have been messing about getting some badges made up, here is what i have done.

and

but i prefer,

Legerra 2.0L pinto (currentcar)
Phaeton S1 project car (1 sold!)
Special loosely based on "locost"
snowy2
Advanced Member

Return to Phaeton S1, S2, S3, S4